Balanced Scorecard Certification
BSI’s Balanced Scorecard Certification Program is designed to give practitioners the tools and skills they need to help their organizations increase focus on strategy and results, improve organizational performance by measuring what matters, align the work people do on a day-to-day basis with strategy, focus on the drivers of future performance, improve communication of the organization’s Vision and Strategy, and prioritize in tough economic times. With two levels of certification, Balanced Scorecard Master Professional™ (BSMP),and Balanced Scorecard Professional™ (BSP), the program is offered in association with the George Washington University College of Professional Studies. As a comprehensive program on leading a balanced scorecard strategic planning and management system implementation using the Institute’s Nine Steps™ methodology, it is ideal for participants charged with building, implementing, managing, and sustaining balanced scorecard planning and management systems.
Print a Brochure
- Why Get Certified?
- Exam & Recertification
- BSP Course Information
- BSMP Course Information
The Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification Program provides participants with background and resources in all areas that are important to lead or participate on a team to build, implement, and sustain a balanced scorecard planning and management system in their organization. The program includes in-depth study of strategic thinking, strategic planning, organization assessment, strategy mapping, performance measures and target setting, strategic initiatives, automation, cascading and strategic management.
Topics covered by the course include:
- Comprehensive approaches to strategic planning, strategic management, performance measurement and target setting, initiative prioritization, performance information systems, and program evaluation
- BSI’s Nine Steps to Success™ methodology for building and implementing balanced scorecard planning and management systems
- Organization development practices, such as SWOT analysis, employee assessment planning, customer and stakeholder identification, and balanced scorecard program planning
- Modern approaches to strategic thinking and strategy mapping
- Communications strategy development and change management aspects of the balanced scorecard journey
- Facilitation and coaching skills necessary to lead team workshops in the development of a balanced scorecard system for your organization
- How to select appropriate software to collect and report performance information throughout the organization
- How to cascade the enterprise scorecard throughout the organization
There are two levels of certification. The basic certification level is Balanced Scorecard Professional (BSP) and the advanced level is Balanced Scorecard Master Professional (BSMP). The BSP level includes five days of instruction and the completion of an online exam (see the Exam tab). The BSMP certification includes the BSP program plus a five-day Application course and formal presentation.
The Balanced Scorecard Professional (BSP) Certification is designed for students who do not want to achieve the higher level certification or would prefer to get BSMP Certification at a later date. Follow the BSP program to the right (in green) to become certified. Courses include the BSP Certification Pt. 1: Intro to the BSC course and the BSP Certification Pt. 2: Advanced BSCcourse. The two courses can be taken together in the same week by registering for the BSP Certification Boot Camp.
The Balanced Scorecard Master Professional (BSMP) status can be attained by following the entire program to the right (green and blue). Anyone already BSP Certified can simply add the BSMP Certification Application (CAP) Course to become BSMP certified. Alternatively, the entire BSMP Program can be completed at once by taking the 10-day BSMP Certification Course. All courses must be taken in order shown to the right.
The Balanced Scorecard Institute was the original certifying body for balanced scorecard practitioners. The first program was delivered in January 2006 jointly with George Washington University College of Professional Studies on their campus in Alexandria, Virginia. Since then, Balanced Scorecard Master Professional programs have been delivered four to five times a year at various locations worldwide and the Balanced Scorecard Professional Program is now offered over once per month! Fully consistent with basic balanced scorecard concepts & terminology developed by Drs. Kaplan & Norton, it was developed by the Institute for members of balanced scorecard teams who want to learn how to build, deploy, and sustain scorecard systems, and for anyone who wants to incorporate lessons learned and best practices into the development of a strategic management system.
Through case studies and a series of interactive small-group workshops, participants will apply the balanced scorecard concepts to meet the challenges facing a typical organization.
Exercises performed throughout this course include:
- Launching a BSC program and establishing work teams
- Incorporating communications planning and change management into the scorecard development process
- Use an organizational assessment to set vision, mission, and strategy
- Understand who your customers and stakeholders are and what they need from your organization
- Develop a customer value proposition and strategy profile
- Develop an organization’s strategic themes, strategic results and perspectives
- Develop and refine strategic objectives and strategy maps
- Develop and refine performance measures and targets, aligned to strategy
- Develop & prioritize new initiatives to execute strategy
- Cascade a scorecard to develop alignment by developing strategic objectives, strategy maps, performance measures, and initiatives at the Tier 2 and 3 levels
- Evaluate and improve a poorly designed system
The course will be taught by Principals and Associates of the Balanced Scorecard Institute. These instructors have specialized expertise in balanced scorecard training, facilitation and consulting in public and private-sector organizations.
Who Should Attend
This program is recommended for:
- Strategic planning professionals or balanced scorecard practitioners
- Executives, senior managers or leaders who want to improve the strategic focus and strategy execution of their organizations
- Teams or individuals tasked with developing a strategic plan for their organization
- Teams or individuals with balanced scorecard or KPI/Performance Measure development responsibility
- Executives, managers, planners and analysts who are part of a balanced scorecard development team, and are seeking the best practical ideas for improving organizational performance.
This program is made up of hands-on workshops taught by the most senior Institute facilitating consultants, and is designed to enable anyone involved with developing a balanced scorecard system to act as a coordinating change agent/internal consultant to lead and develop a scorecard system. Instructors will work closely with each participant. Participants will learn how to develop balanced scorecards and apply them in their own organizations. Software for planning and performance measurement will be demonstrated to show how information technology can be used to help develop the scorecard system, collect, report, and visualize performance information, and cascade an enterprise scorecard to business and support units, and to teams and individuals. This program appeals to leaders and managers internationally, and past participants have raved about the value they received from working side-by-side with others who come from all over the world and various organization types. This sharing of practical experience occurs through classroom discussions, through meet-and-greet receptions scheduled during the week, and in some cases through electronic correspondence long after the course has ended.
Why Get Certified?
There has never been a better time to accelerate your career in strategic planning and balanced scorecard facilitation, and earning a certification is a great way to do just that. Even if you have been working with balanced scorecards for 15 years, certifications are an excellent way to market yourself and stand out from the crowd. Earning certifications shows a potential employer (and your current one) that you are willing to go the extra mile.
Intellectual Property Note
Certification and training related to the Nine Steps to Success™ methodology is for internal facilitation and personal use only. Any use of the Nine Steps to Success™ or other Institute intellectual property beyond internal facilitation use without a formal affiliate or associate agreement with the Institute is prohibited.
Continuing Education Units
All BSI Certification Program participants qualify for Continuing Education Units through our alliance with the George Washington University College of Professional Studies. Attendees completing the 10-day course qualify for 8 CEUs. Those completing the 5-day course will qualify for 4 CEUs, while those taking only the Part 1 or Part 2 courses will qualify for 2 units each.
Discounts are available for all BSI Programs for Government, not-for-profit, and other public sector organizations, for organizations that register three or more participants, and for those that register early. Please follow the registration link for the respective course for the exact discount amount.
Feedback from past participants:
- “This is one of the best professional courses I’ve taken in my career. I will be able to apply the learnings immediately when I return to the office.” – Brian Burton, Group Project Manager, T-Mobile US, Inc.
- “The BSI Certification goes far beyond studying the theory & history of a balanced scorecard management system. This course gives individuals the tools necessary to build, implement, and manage a comprehensive tier 1-3 scorecard at their own organizations. The knowledge & skills gained are successful combination of theoretical & practical application that empower students to facilitate construction of this scorecard from the ground up” – Shella Blackburn, Manager Corporate Performance, Mission Essential Personnel.
- “The BSP Certification Boot Camp was on enriching learning experience. The case studies and peer interactions helped to turn theory into practice.” – David Branch, Director of Business Performance, Constellation Energy.
- “This course converted me from a skeptic into a believer” – Thedora Borissov, Manager, Performance and Measurement, BC Oil and Gas Commission.
- “I will be sending more of my staff to this [BSP Certification] course” –Steve Jonnes, FBI, Unit Chief – Performance Analysis Unit.
- “Best professional course I’ve ever taken! The demands are endless” — Earnest K. Kiano, Deputy Manager, Kenya Power & Lighting Company.
- “Finally, a comprehensive approach that makes sense and ties all of our tools together”, Todd Moon, Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau, Chief Operations Service.
- “Although we only implemented the balanced scorecard approach a couple of years ago, we have already seen improvements in our operations. The [Nine Steps to Success™] approach helps us focus on our ambitious goal to drastically increase the number of transplants we facilitate by 2015.” – Michael Boo, Chief Strategy Officer, National Marrow Donor Program.
- “Change is easy. Transition is more difficult—Balanced Scorecard Institute showed us not only how to change the organization-but more importantly how to manage the change process effectively.” Joe Cernero, Professional Development Manager, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma.
- “We are very pleased with the help provided by the Institute. We are aiming for high revenue targets in a geographically diverse market, and the Institute helped us translate our strategy into something that employees can actually use.” – Laurent Auguste, President and CEO, Veolia Water Americas.
The Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification exam, administered online, has 40 questions (multiple choice or true/false pulled randomly from a larger pool of questions). There is a 75 minute time limit to complete the exam and results are posted immediately. A score of 75% is needed to pass.
After completing the course requirements, participants that have not already registered for the program will be given a link to register for the exam. Once participants have registered and course completion has been verified, a link for the exam and login information will be provided. Completed exams are scored automatically and both the participant and the Institute are notified immediately. Certifications will be mailed to the registration mailing address for those that pass. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
Maintaining the BSP or BSMP Designation – Recertification
Recertification is based upon earning 50 credits through continuing education, contributions to the field, and on the job experience. The Institute has established a certification committee to oversee the certification program.
BSP Certifications expire on December 31, three years from the year a person originally certified (e.g., if you certified in 2014, regardless of which month of the year, your certification is due for renewal by December 31, 2017).
BSMP Certifications expire on December 31, five years from the year a person originally certified (e.g., if you certified in 2012, regardless of which month of the year, your certification is due for renewal by December 31, 2017).
Annual recertification notices are sent, as a courtesy, in the first quarter of the year in which the individual is due for renewal and additional reminders are sent throughout the year. Accompanying the reminder notice, will be a link to, information regarding the recertification process and instructions to access the recertification application form and guidelines.
Balanced Scorecard Professional Course Series
Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification can be gained via a 5-day BSP Certification Boot Camp (plus exam) or by first taking the 3-day BSP Certification Part 1 course and then later adding the 2-day BSP Certification Part 2 course (plus exam).
Print an Outline of the Program
Balanced Scorecard Professional Boot Camp
Course 370 – 5 Days
The original Balanced Scorecard Boot Camp! Beginning with the basic Nine-Step process covered in the Part 1 course and then continuing into the real life nuances and complications addressed in the Part 2 course, this course covers the entire range of balanced scorecard topics – organization development, change management and communications planning, strategic planning, objectives and strategy mapping, performance measures and target setting, strategic initiative prioritization, automation, cascading, and strategic management – in one week. Fully consistent with basic balanced scorecard concepts & terminology developed by Kaplan & Norton, the course covers scorecard development in business, government, and non-profit organizations. Participants get hands-on practice using a simple, step-by-step process for developing a scorecard system on their own. This course combines the material in the BSP Certification Pt. 1 and the BSP Certification Pt. 2 courses into a single, 5-day course and meets the course requirements for Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification (exam completion required). Price includes access to the BSP online certification exam and the Institute’s premier strategic planning book, The Institute Way! Print a Brochure
Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification Part 1: Intro to the Balanced Scorecard
Course 301 – 3 Days
The Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification Pt. 1 course introduces participants to the Nine Steps to Success™ balanced scorecard development methodology. Participants learn how to build and implement a balanced scorecard for any commercial, government or nonprofit organization with a practical step-by-step approach. As Part 1 of the BSP Certification, this course is a practical, “hands-on” workshop that covers best practices, case studies, exercises, lessons-learned, real-life examples and expert facilitation practices. This course is the fundamental starting point for anyone interested in scorecard development, even for students that have advanced knowledge and experience implementing scorecards based on their own research or by working with other methodologies. Print a Brochure
Balanced Scorecard Professional Certification Part 2: Advanced Balanced Scorecard
Course 401 – 2 Days
This course covers our Nine Steps to Success™ balanced scorecard methodology, but goes much deeper than the Part 1 course, providing more tools and techniques to help managers and analysts build, deploy, and sustain a scorecard system in their organization. The BSP Certification Pt. 1 (see above) is requiredbefore taking this course, as this course builds on that introductory knowledge by focusing on common scorecard development difficulties and nuances found in real world organizations that have implemented the Nine Step framework. This course provides a quick review of basic scorecard building steps, adds advanced building techniques, and goes in depth with cascading a scorecard system throughout an organization and evaluating the impact of the scorecard system and making corrections. The course includes additional focus on change management and strategic facilitation of teams. In addition to the two days of class, participants are given free access to the BSP certification exam. Print a Brochure
Balanced Scorecard Master Professional Course Series
BSMP certification can be achieved by taking the stand-alone 10-day BSMP Course (plus exam) or by first earning BSP Certification and then returning to complete the BSMP Application Course.
Balanced Scorecard Master Professional Course
Course 501 – 10 Days
This 10-day program is a comprehensive program on leading a balanced scorecard planning and management system implementation. It is the fastest pathway for participants to receive Balanced Scorecard Master Professional (BSMP) certification. The program, covering two calendar weeks, is ideal for participants charged with building, implementing, managing, and sustaining balanced scorecard planning and management systems. It was developed by the Balanced Scorecard Institute for members of internal balanced scorecard teams who want to learn how to build, deploy, and sustain scorecard systems, and for anyone who wants to incorporate lessons learned and best practices into the development of a strategic management system. Print a Brochure
Balanced Scorecard Master Professional (BSMP) Certification Application Course
Course 520 – 5 Days
This Application course offers certified Balanced Scorecard Professionals a way to “upgrade” their work to full BSMP certification. The program is ideal for participants charged with building, implementing, managing, and sustaining balanced scorecard planning and management systems. It was developed for members of internal balanced scorecard teams who want to learn how to build, deploy, and sustain scorecard systems, and for anyone who wants to incorporate lessons learned and best practices into the development of a strategic management system. Completion of the Balanced Scorecard Professional certification is required before registration for Course 520 will be approved. It is recommended that participants wait a few months after completing the BSP certification before taking the BSMP Application course.