The Strategic Project Management program provides participants with the essential skills of modern project management within the context of a strategy focused organization. Created by certified PMP® and strategy experts at Strategy Management Group (SMG), this program bridges the gap between strategy and practical project management, and trains project managers how to prioritize and manage projects more strategically. It is designed to give practitioners the tools, templates, and skills they need to deliver projects and initiatives on time, on budget, and within scope. One-day Foundation, Two-day Intermediate, and Three-day Advanced workshops are available, and all three classes can be used to prepare for the PMP exam.
Project Management Professional (PMP), CAPM, PMBOK, and the PMI Registered Education Provider logo are all registered trademarks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Strategic Project Management
The Strategic Project Management program provides participants with the essential skills of modern project management within the context of a strategy focused organization. Created by certified PMP® and strategy experts, this program bridges the gap between strategy and practical project management, and trains project managers how to prioritize and manage projects more strategically. It is designed to give practitioners the tools, templates, and skills they need to deliver projects and initiatives on time, on budget, and within scope. One-day Foundations, Two-day Intermediate, and Three-day Advanced workshops are available, and all three classes can be used to prepare for the PMP exam.
Senior Associates use a combination of short lectures, examples, and relevant exercises to help participants learn and apply strategic initiative and project management concepts. Facilitators also share proven instruments, templates, checklists, analysis tools and success stories to reinforce learning.
Strategic Project Management: Foundations
Course 230 – 1 Day
The Strategic Project Management Foundations course is a 1-day interactive course that introduces basic project management terminology and practices for anyone that needs an awareness of the ins and outs of strategic project management. Individuals who are performing projects as a project coordinator, project lead or project manager or business analysts who perform project related analysis would benefit from this course. Subject matter experts who want to learn a simple structure for performing project management within a strategic context would also benefit from attending this course.
Strategic Project Management: Intermediate
Course 330 – 2 Days
The Strategic Project Management Intermediate course is a 2-day interactive course that builds on the Foundations course to focus on the project management skills needed to effectively manage projects end-to-end. Through classroom discussion, case studies, and exercises and templates, participants learn best practices in project prioritization, initiation, planning, performing, measuring, and delivering.
Strategic Project Management: Advanced
Course 430 – 3 Days
The 3-day Advanced Strategic Project Management course appends the 2-day course with a day of practical application of concepts. Real world examples, which may be your organizations projects if desired, are broken into two large practical exercises which allows participants the opportunity to work together to assimilate newly acquired skills and information through real world project management scenarios.
Who Should Attend?
This course is valuable for:
- Portfolio, Program and Project Managers
- Directors of Strategy Management
- Directors of Performance Management
- Risk Management and Compliance Officers
- Balanced Scorecard Practitioners
- Strategic Planners and Analysts
- People new to project/program management
- Those people who want to learn more about project management
- People new to business and formal delivery models
- People who currently are project contributors and want to improve performance
- Any professional who needs to learn how to apply project management for business results
Upon completion of this course students will know:
- How to utilize best practices in project management to deliver on time, on budget and within scope
- How to develop effective project schedules considering resources and risks
- How to use predefined templates for each step through the project life-cycle
- Project Management Fundamentals
- Best Practices / Tools / Resources in project management
- How to develop a project plan
- How to provide guidance to others in leveraging tools/resources
- The formal steps needed to execute project management
- How to manage projects using a practical methodology
- Fundamental terms and concepts about project management
- How to plan to deliver projects successfully in any environment
Learning Materials Include:
- 210 Page Workbook
- Full Color 18 x 24 Wall Poster illustrating the Key Results for the key steps in project management
- One set of the Project Management Process Posters
Public Sector Discount:
We offer a discount for participants for public sector and not-for-profit organizations (use discount code NP).
If three or more participants from the same organization register, we offer a multi-registration discount. We encourage more people from the same organization to attend so that they can collaborate during the workshop.
Early Bird Discount:
Sign up 30 days before the start of the course and get the early bird discount:
Strategic Project Management Course Outline
During this class, each step is discussed with the goal of learning how to apply the processes within your organization.
- Discussion of the purpose that the process serves in the project life cycle
- Practical application for the process
- Review of “Must Know Concepts” and “Best Practices” for the process
- Interactive Games
- A “Think About It” exercise after each process task discussion
- Specific inputs, tools and outputs from the process
- Chapter Quiz
- Project Exercises
Day One (Foundations):
- Assessment Exam
- Course description
- Understanding Strategic Project Management best practices and terminology
- How project management supports strategy and strategy execution
Project Management Fundamentals
- Project Management definitions and concepts
Project Management Knowledge Requirements
- Knowledge required to be a project manager
- Specialized knowledge
Day Two (Intermediate):
Step 1: Initiate the Project
- Perform A-B-C Analysis (Implied Process)
- Develop Project Charter
- Acquire Core Project Team (Implied Process)
Step 2: Plan Project
- Schedule Planning/Organizational Structure
Step 3: Validate Project Controls
- Plan Schedule Management (Implied Process)
Step 4: Finalize Project Plan
- Acquire Project Team
Step 5: Perform Work (Executing)
- Develop Project Team
- Manage Project Team
- Perform Quality Assurance
- Manage Stakeholder Expectations
- Direct & Manage Project Execution
- Effective Project Phase Transition
Step 6: Control Project Performance
- Monitoring and Control Risk
- Perform Integrated Change Control
- Report Performance
- Perform Quality Control
- Monitor & Control Project Work using KPI’s
Step 7: Deliver Product
- Close Procurements
- Close Project or Phase
Day Three (Advanced):
Step 8: Course Review and Real-World Application of Learned Information/Skills
- Additional learning concepts and detail provided using case studies and simulation exercises
- Real world examples, which may be your organizations projects if desired, are broken into two large practical exercises. There will be one in the morning and one in the afternoon, which allows participants the opportunity to work together to assimilate newly acquired skills and information through real world project management scenarios. And assist in adoption and institutionalization.
Want to bring this course to your location to train your whole team?
“I just wanted to let you know that I used your Ultimate PMP® Exam prep system to study for my exam. I wrote the PMP® exam yesterday and passed! I am recommending your learning system above all others. It was very instrumental in helping me pass.”